Thursday 24 May 2012

The Voice of the Voiceless

I had a chance to talk about Married to a Devil yesterday with Radio Oxford and I ended my interview by saying I am the Voice of the Voiceless. I meant it then and always. I have always said you can not be  a writer poet,painter etc if you burry your head in the sand when it comes to the truth.

 Obviously given a platform I had so much to say and in that situation it felt as if I did not say enough. I wanted to raise awareness on all the issues that I campaign for but it did not work like that. However I will continue raising awareness by other means on the physical and emotional effects of Female genital mutilation, the scars people live with after domestic violence and rape,stigma associated with disability,fistulas and marrying off underage young girls,only to mention a few. We should speak for those who can speak for themselves if we can. There is so much going on in the world and the best we can do is raise awareness and acknowledge .

I salute the South African painter for his courage.The reason I am saying this is the current situation in South Africa- Zuma's painting with his genitalia hanging out. Besides expressing his freedom of speech, this painter portays the truth. He is like me the Voice of  the Voiceless. Why should this man be taken to court? If he had the same painting of a commoner was he going to be taken to court? To many people it's good pointing out those things we all want to say but just can not because either we can't be bothered, we are too busy or we are just scared. The president of South Africa has proved himself to many, how he is with women. At 70 getting married to his sixth wife shows a man with no shame as father of nation and to me is a bad role model to his people.

I would want to remind people that being a good citizen involves pointing out those injustices surrounding us. As I said yesterday in my interview, rape, stigma on disability female genital mutilation etc have no boundaries.It happens everywhere, so raising awareness,talking about it instead of facing the other side will simply make it easy to eradicate.
Together we can do it. Enough is enough. Lets be part of the generation that supports being human and stop violence against one another whether physical,sexual or psychological.

They say he who tries will never be disappointed.Let's all try support the cause in whatever way we can, and the world will be a better place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment